Who doesn’t love hotcakes for breakfast or brunch? These beauties include a fantastic low FODMAP vege – carrots. They are a great way to use up leftover steamed carrots and can be whipped up in a couple of minutes. They can be made savoury or sweet by adding different spices to suit your palate.
Savoury or Sweet Carrot Hotcakes
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 3 medium carrots, steamed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup nut milk pulp, almond meal, seed meal, gluten free flour
- For sweet hotcakes - 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and/or 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- For savoury hotcakes: 1 teaspoon cumin, pinch curry powder and/or 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Coconut oil for frying
- If using nut milk pulp, place into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process until a fine flour like consistency is reached.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the food processor bowl or blender and process until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large frypan on a low heat.
- Place spoonful's of the mixture onto the heated frypan, allowing enough room to be able to flip each hotcake. Spread the top out using the back of the spoon if necessary.
- Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, or until the side is golden.
- Serve sweet hotcakes on their own with coconut yoghurt, lactose free yoghurt, dairy free ice cream or with the added sweetness of a drizzle of maple syrup or rice malt syrup. For savoury hotcakes, serve with a side salad and dairy free sour cream.
About Catherine Marr
This meatloaf was created using some of the produce from...
This is a good basic meatloaf using minimal ingredients. It...
This frittata is a wonderful way of using up zucchini that...
Are you dreaming of an island getaway? This beautiful smoothie...