Fresh lavender, blackcurrants and rhubarb are fond memories of my childhood. Mum always had lavender plants, a rhubarb patch and plenty of blackcurrant bushes. I remember spending summer evenings out picking blackcurrants. We would have stewed blackcurrants for breakfast and then whip up a beautiful crumble for dessert. The crumble was usually made with rolled oats, butter and sugar, all not recommended for those on the low FODMAP diet. This crumble is a great alternative. You can use what ever nuts and seeds are in your pantry, get creative – there are no rules!
Lavender Blackcurrant and Rhubarb Crumble
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts, chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup brazil nuts, chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
- Optional: 1/4 cup almond meal (if tolerated)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- 2 cups blackcurrants
- 2 stalks rhubarb, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Lightly grease a 20 - 25 cm round or oval baking dish.
- Place the rhubarb into the baking dish and bake for 10 minutes. This will soften the rhubarb for further baking, but also not over cook it so it becomes mushy.
- While the rhubarb is cooking, prepare the topping. Melt the coconut oil over a basin of boiling water.
- Pour into a mixing bowl with the nuts, seeds, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of ginger, vanilla, maple syrup and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Once the rhubarb is cooked, remove from the oven and pour over the blackcurrants, lavender and remaining cinnamon and ginger. Mix lightly to evenly coat the fruit and mix up the blackcurrants and rhubarb.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the blackcurrant and rhubarb mixture, ensuring it is evenly spread.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the edges and centre are bubbling.
- Enjoy warm or cold with coconut yoghurt, coconut ice cream.
About Catherine Marr
This meatloaf was created using some of the produce from...
This is a good basic meatloaf using minimal ingredients. It...
This frittata is a wonderful way of using up zucchini that...
Are you dreaming of an island getaway? This beautiful smoothie...