This cake has a unique flavour, combining blackcurrants, oranges, walnuts and eggs. It can be enjoyed at morning or afternoon tea or try it as a dessert served on its own or with coconut yoghurt, macadamia cream or ice cream.
Blackcurrant Orange Cake
- 2 oranges
- 75g walnut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup tapicoa flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 1 1/2 cups blackcurrants, fresh or frozen
- Place the oranges into a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring the water to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain the oranges and put aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celcius. Grease and line a 20 cm round springform cake tin.
- Place the oranges into a food processor bowl and process until a smooth paste is formed.
- Break the eggs into a medium bowl or cake mixer bowl. Beat for 5 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Add the maple syrup to the eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add the walnut flour, baking powder and tapioca flour into the orange mixture and mix until smooth.
- Fold the orange mixture and blackcurrants into the eggs.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a skewer is nearly clean.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes, then remove the outside of the tin and leave to completely cool on a wire cake tin.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days or cut into pieces and freeze for a later date.
About Catherine Marr
This meatloaf was created using some of the produce from...
This is a good basic meatloaf using minimal ingredients. It...
This frittata is a wonderful way of using up zucchini that...
Are you dreaming of an island getaway? This beautiful smoothie...